Accountable Body

The accountable body is the organisation that a community group selects to be responsible or accountable for receiving grant funding. The accountable body must ensure the grant monies are managed effectively and are compliant with any conditions in the grant agreement.

Area in Need

An area that lacks in basic amenities and social qualities – amenities and qualities that are required to live a satisfactory life. It is also defined as an area where the community has high levels of unemployment and endures hardship, debt, anxiety, low self-esteem, ill health, poor skills and bad living conditions.


Something of any value or property owned by a person or company.

Asset Liability Period

The period during which we will hold you responsible for the condition and use of the land funded by the grant, starting from the date that the capital works are completed.

Asset Monitoring Period

This will usually be the same as the asset liability period. It is the time during which we will monitor you to ensure that the grant purpose is being met.

Break Clause

A provision in a lease that allows the landlord or the tenant or both to bring the lease to an end before the full period of years has elapsed.


A static, physical, man-made structure that has external walls and a roof, used to shelter people, animals or property. A building cannot be considered ‘open’, for example it should have some sort of door or a form of closing mechanism.

Capital Assets

Assets that have a large monetary value, which can include playground equipment, landscaping, planting and equipment, for example, together with associated costs (such as professional fees and contractor costs).

Capital Funding

Funding that will be used to purchase or obtain long term, fixed assets for the project or grant scheme.

Certificate of Final Completion

A formal document issued under the contract after the agreed defects period

Certificate of Practical Completion

A formal document issued under the contract to show that the work is complete apart from any defects.

Certificate of Title

A written document from a solicitor confirming that the grant recipient is the leasehold or freehold owner of the land to which the grant relates and that there is nothing about the land which might stop the grant being used for the grant purpose.

Community Group

A not for profit group made up of people living in one particular area and focused on a neighbourhood, who are considered as a unit because of their common interests, background, nationality or other circumstances.


A constitution is a legal document that outlines the name, purpose, authority, relationships and financial structure of an organisation or group. The constitution defines the rules and principles by which an organisation or group is governed.


An amount of money (usually expressed as a percentage) built into the total project costs in case part of the project costs more than you thought.


The company carrying out work for a pre-agreed cost.

Core Costs

Costs that are essential for delivering the project – overhead costs like rent, staff, equipment etc. Where an applicant wants funding for a project, which is part of a range of activities they undertake, then it can be requested that a proportion of their overhead costs are directly related to delivering that project.


A formal acknowledgement of a legal responsibility to another person.

Deed of Covenant

A legal document setting out an undertaking, agreement, restriction or permission. This is designed to protect land used for projects from any other use throughout the liability period. Once approved the Deed is forwarded to the Land Registry so the restrictive covenant can be placed on the land.

Deed of Undertaking

If we ask for a restriction but the land is not registered, then we ask the landowner to complete a deed of undertaking confirming that if at any time in the future the land is registered, then at that time they will agree to a restriction being registered at the Land Registry.

Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) 2005

Legislation that is in place to promote civil rights for disabled people and protect disabled people from discrimination.


Disadvantage can occur in any community from affluent to poor and from rural to urban. It can affect both people and places. Disadvantaged people are those that do not experience the same standard of living as the majority of the country. Disadvantaged people are unable to access the necessary services that the majority of people have access to.


A form of ownership of land or buildings in which nobody can take the ownership away from the owner unless they agree. This is the most permanent way in which someone can own land or buildings. The owner owns the property forever, or until they sell it or give it away. They do not have to pay anyone for the use of the land and buildings.

Hard to Reach

A term sometimes used to describe those sections of the community that are difficult to involve in public participation and can sometimes be recognised as portions of the community that suffer the most disadvantage.

Interim Claim Certificate

A document (normally prepared by a landscape architect or similarly qualified professional), which should accompany interim (stage payment) invoices confirming that the amount of work that the interim invoice requests payment for has been completed.

Irrecoverable VAT

Value Added Tax (VAT) charged on buying goods, services or transactions that you are not able to reclaim from HM Revenue and Customs. You should seek guidance and obtain written confirmation of the VAT position in relation to your proposed project. Unexpected VAT bills can add significantly to the total cost of your capital project.

Land Registry

A national land database on which landowners can record their ownership. If they do so their land is registered land. Anyone can find out who owns a piece of land if it is registered at the Land Registry.

Land Tenure Documents

Certificate documents for the purchase of land. Care must be taken on leases of land, as in some cases they may come in to conflict with a project’s grant terms and conditions, or the spirit of the programme.

Lead Professional

The member of the design team (normally the architect, architectural technologist or surveyor) who takes overall responsibility for coordinating the design process and client contact. You might wish to engage a suitably qualified lead professional to manage the delivery of your project, or for simpler projects your group could manage many aspects of project delivery yourselves. You must engage a professional to produce certificates of practical and final completion.


A document containing the rules that show how a particular piece of leasehold land or a leasehold building is owned. The lease will contain rules about how long the tenant’s ownership is for and how much rent is paid and when it is paid (among other things). The lease is given to the tenant by a landlord. The tenant pays the landlord rent for the use of the land and building.


A form of land ownership in which someone (known as the tenant) owns the land and buildings for a limited number of years. The rules of ownership will be dealt with in a document known as a lease (see above). Often the ownership under the lease will be for many years and the tenant will pay a sum of money to “buy” the leasehold ownership from a previous tenant or from the landlord and then will pay a small rent to the landlord each year during its ownership.

Legal Opinion

A written document from a solicitor in which the solicitor confirms that they believe the recipient has the legal power to sign the terms and conditions of grant and any legal charge or other document that we may ask the recipient to sign.

Management Committee

Members of your organisation’s governing body (who may be called trustees, directors, or members of the management committee).

Planning Permission

Formal approval sought from a council, often granted with conditions, allowing a proposed development to proceed. Groups are required to make enquiries from their local planning authority to see whether permission for their proposed project is needed. If required, evidence that it has been granted must be supplied with your stage 2 application.


Selection and purchasing of goods and services

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Insurance covering professionals from civil law claims arising from advice or services provided.


Land or buildings are registerable if the ownership of them can be registered at the Land Registry. Freehold ownership is always registerable. Leasehold ownership is registerable where the tenant still has seven years or more of ownership according to the lease.

Registered Land

Land and buildings that are registered at the Land Registry. If they are registered they will be given a “title number”, which is unique to the land and buildings, and which the recipient or its solicitors should know and be able to produce. A title number can prove whether a recipient owns the land and buildings.

Remittance Advice

A remittance advice is a notice to you of payment. A remittance advice will be sent, normally by email, to notify you when payment has been made. The remittance advice will include details of the date of the payment and the amount paid.

Report on Title

Similar to when purchasing a house, a Report on Title confirms the financial and legal status of the grant recipient and whether they are acting within their powers in delivering a project. The title also shows any encumbrances that may be attached to the land. The solicitor responsible for the title will prepare and execute the deed of covenant, and register the restrictive covenant on the Land Register.


A percentage of the cost of the works not paid to the contractor until the work is completed satisfactorily.


This is the protection placed on the land to prevent its use as anything other than the original project.

Retrospective Funding

Funds or monies that have already been spent prior to formally being awarded a grant.

Revenue Funding

Revenue funding is for things like running costs, salaries, consumables, hire of training rooms, insurance, maintenance, essential services, telephone, post and print charges and so on.


Questions asked before land or buildings are bought to check if there are any rights, restrictions, covenants or other matters affecting the property that may cause the new owner a problem.

Security of Tenure

A good, strong and usually well documented right to own or use a property for a period of time.

Shared Interest Group

A group of people with a mutual interest in particular topics or issues, for example the environment.

Social Exclusion

Partitioning a group, individual or sector from the normal activities of society because of economic or social factors.


A formal process that allows contractors to bid to supply a service or carry out work at a stated cost.


The form of right (title) under which land or a building is held or occupied (freehold or leasehold or licence).


The legal right by which property is owned or occupied.

Unregistered Land

Land that is not registered at the Land Registry. It is not easy to prove land ownership as it is with registered land. Instead, a recipient will need to show that they own the land by producing legal documents and will usually need their solicitor’s help to do so.

Value Added Tax (VAT)

VAT is a tax charged on most business-to-business and business-to-consumer transactions in the UK. VAT is also charged on goods, and some services, imported from places outside the European Union (EU).